[Asterisk-Dev] Raising loop current limit on the Proslic (reg.71)

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Mar 5 14:22:51 MST 2004

> > The 20ma loop is sort of typical. It actually can range from a low of
> > about 12 ma up to about 30+ ma depending upon how far away from the
> > central office the user happens to be, the gauge of copper plant, the
> > telco engineers, etc.
>
> uh...  The whole *point* of current loops is that they are insensitive to
> distance and have better noise immunity when compared to voltage
> signalling.  And even 30AWG is capable of handling 20mA.  :-)
>
> The only thing that would affect the loop in your list is the telco
> engineers, I'm afraid...  That and craptastic sourcing equipment.

After I hit send I realized I was "out of context" with the original
topic. For the central office based loops, the 12 to 30+ still holds
true for many CO switches. There are still a large number of CO switches
that are not current regulated loops; those are still I=E/R with E fixed
at -48 and R varing depending on the distance. Try some 10 mile loops. ;)