[Asterisk-Dev] Channel registry question

Derek Bruce dbruce at calgarytelecom.com
Thu Mar 4 15:12:45 MST 2004

Yes, you are correct... I am looking at the issue primarily from a telco
POV.

Our original thoughts on how to use Asterisk was as a PBX. Calls were passed
from our PSTN gateway to the Asterisk server. The Asterisk server replaced
our PBX. Then our office personel wanted to access the system from  outside
the office... hence office network PBX becomes WAN PBX. Having a PBX blocked
off from the outside world is fast becoming a thing of the past. With the
move away from the legacy PBX where each office location is an island unto
itself, the issue of multiple UA's configured with the same credentials is
going to become more of an issue.

Personally, I think the PBX moniker for Asterisk diminishes it's
capabilities.

Derek Bruce
Calgary Telecom
dbruce at calgarytelecom.com