[Asterisk-Dev] Channel registry question

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Mar 4 13:37:09 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 10:41, Steven Sokol wrote:
> I have noticed that, given two IAX2 devices registering to my asterisk box
> with the same credentials, the most recently registered device becomes the
> endpoint for calls directed to that IAX2 channel.

> Could we, without breaking anything, alter the registry process to 1) allow
> for multiple registered devices for a given channel, or 2) by rejecting
> registrations from a device while another device is registered with the same
> credentials or 3) by de-registering the "older" of the two registrations,
> and sending the device being de-registered a "you just got logged out
> because you logged in elsewhere" response that will cause it to stop trying
> to register.

Rejecting new registrations in my opinion is bad. Take the case of a
machine being moved around on a DHCP lease, you would want it to come
back up as quickly as possible. Take the case of a hot spare configured
to take over if it notices the primary goes offline. We want these to
take over quickly and not wait for some timeout function to say the old
registration is no longer active.

The best bet would be some form of deregister with ack, but what if it
is used as an attack. You could forge a dereg packet and send it down to
a machine in an effort to make them no longer get calls. When would the
dereg'ed machine know to reconnect and try again.

This all basically points out that you should be a decent admin when
working on configs.

> Should this be written up as a bug, or a request for a feature?

I'm not sure it is either.