[Asterisk-Dev] Channel registry question

Steven Sokol ssokol at sokol-associates.com
Thu Mar 4 09:41:23 MST 2004

I have noticed that, given two IAX2 devices registering to my asterisk box
with the same credentials, the most recently registered device becomes the
endpoint for calls directed to that IAX2 channel.

In other words, if device A registers from 192.168.1.10 as "ssokol", then
device B registers from 192.168.1.21 as "ssokol", device B will get calls
directed to IAX2/ssokol.

Except that the IAX2 devices re-register every 60 seconds to keep the
registration alive (and, I assume, to keep a hole in any NAT open).  So the
endpoint for IAX2/ssokol switches twice a minute between the IAX2 phone at
192.168.1.10 an the phone at 192.168.1.21.

Could we, without breaking anything, alter the registry process to 1) allow
for multiple registered devices for a given channel, or 2) by rejecting
registrations from a device while another device is registered with the same
credentials or 3) by de-registering the "older" of the two registrations,
and sending the device being de-registered a "you just got logged out
because you logged in elsewhere" response that will cause it to stop trying
to register.

Having not played with SIP, MGCP, or H323, I don't know if this question is
handled within those protocols, but if not we may want to look at adding
something to them as well.

Should this be written up as a bug, or a request for a feature?

Thanks,

Steven

Steven Sokol
Owner/Manager