[Asterisk-Dev] Re: Codec orders

malz malz.asterisk at laposte.net
Mon Mar 1 07:15:35 MST 2004

As I understand it, in a SIP channel the only codec order taken into account
is the one of the [general] section of sip.conf. The [entity] (peer sections
in sip.conf...) preferences seem to be regarded as orderless switches.

My understanding of the code is the following:
- codecs that may be used (orderless bitmap flags): determined from
[general], [entity], and SDP/SIP negociation
- the preference order is:
     * the one defined in [general]
     * or the one defined in "int ast_best_codec()" in channel.c

To answer you question, I think that there is no way to specify any codec
order on a per-peer basis neither in the config file, nor in the SDP
negociation. Please somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Marc.