[Asterisk-Dev] Re: sms sending and receiving

Hans Mueller 74521ffee0851ff135013b95382277b9 at digitalcity.ch
Sun Jun 27 14:10:56 MST 2004

Hi Andeas,

Andreas Bayer wrote:

>i heard that Asterisk supports short messages.
>What channels support sms?
>

>I heard, that sms over isdn (compatible with protocol used by "Deutsche
>Telekom" ) work.

IMHO there are two completely different SMS Protocoll: The first works on
any analog line. This is a known ETSI standard and is supported by app_sms.

The second one, which Swisscom Fixnet uses (i guess this is the same stuff
as Deutsche Telekom), works ONLY on BRI. The Protocoll itself is very
simple,
you get a short call from the SMSC (with the callerid of the SMSC), the
phonenumber of the sending cellphone and the messagetext itself is in
the UUS1
field of the call. You can see this if you do a "capi debug", it looks like

Jun 18 11:46:29 NOTICE[-1158329424]: CONNECT_IND ID=001 #0x2a1e LEN=0073
  Controller/PLCI/NCCI            = 0x101
  CIPValue                        = 0x2
  CalledPartyNumber               = <c1>5551234
  CallingPartyNumber              = <01 81>0812866130
  CalledPartySubaddress           = default
  CallingPartySubaddress          = default
  BC                              = <88 90>
  LLC                             = default
  HLC                             = default
  AdditionalInfo
   BChannelinformation            = <00 00>
   Keypadfacility                 = default
   Useruserdata                   = <00 01 0a>0795554444testmessage<2e>
   Facilitydataarray              = default

So the cellphone with the number 0795554444 sent the message "testmessage"
to 5551234, and 0812866130 is the number of the SMSC in Swisscom fixnet.

The current chan_capi does *not* support this to be used from asterisk,
but i guess it woudn't be
very hard to put the Useruserdata into an asterisk variable and send the
call to agi to process
an incoming sms. If someone would add this, it would be cool anyway,
some big pbxes add the
caller's name to the UUS1-Field...

>And a heard of a channel for sms over serial connected gsm-phones. Which
>phones (all phones supported by gnokii, at-modems or something else) are
>supported?

Never heard of something like that...

bye

Hans