[Asterisk-Dev] HylaFAX and spandsp

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at backtobasicsmgmt.com
Sat Jun 26 09:32:29 MST 2004

Steve Underwood wrote:

> Now I have a question. What should this look like as a complete
> application? The current applications which allow use of mu soft-FAX,
> rxfax and txfax, are transient applications. What form should a soft-FAX
> modem for HylaFAX take? Should I follow the same transient application
> format, launching a copy of HylaFAX's faxgetty as needed? If so, what
> about the FAX sending side. Should I be building a persistent
> application with a persistent copy of HylaFAX attached? HylaFAX experts,
> please tell me what will suit HylaFAX best, as I am no HylaFAX expert.

I am no HylaFAX expert, just a satisfied user, but here is my ideal
soft-FAX application...

I'd like to see a standalone application that I can run on any host I
like, connect it to an Asterisk server via IAX2 and have HylaFAX's
faxgetty talk to it (over a pty, I'd assume). If I want to have multiple
"extensions" supporting soft-FAX, then I'd have to run multiple
instances of this standalone application, each talking to a separate
faxgetty and appearing as another modem in HylaFAX's view of the world.

If the soft-FAX application has to run inside Asterisk for performance
reasons (or whatever else), then I'd still like to see some persistence
so HylaFAX can be operated "as normal", especially for sending.