[Asterisk-Dev] HylaFAX and spandsp

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Jun 26 08:56:54 MST 2004

Hi all,

Some people are happy with the spandsp soft-FAX the way it is. Some
people want to see its FAX modem work with HylaFAX. In an attempt to
please the entire universe, a class 1 FAX modem interface for spandsp is
now on the way. I just made my first FAX call between a spandsp without
HylaFAX, and a spandsp with HylaFAX.

Now I have a question. What should this look like as a complete
application? The current applications which allow use of mu soft-FAX,
rxfax and txfax, are transient applications. What form should a soft-FAX
modem for HylaFAX take? Should I follow the same transient application
format, launching a copy of HylaFAX's faxgetty as needed? If so, what
about the FAX sending side. Should I be building a persistent
application with a persistent copy of HylaFAX attached? HylaFAX experts,
please tell me what will suit HylaFAX best, as I am no HylaFAX expert.

Regards,
Steve