[Asterisk-Dev] Accept patch to make iax2's calc_timestamp suspicious about the ast_frame.delivery value?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Jun 18 08:55:21 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 07:08, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> On Friday 18 June 2004 03:10, steve at daviesfam.org wrote:
> > This is bad when you use the jitter buffer as the buffer starts tossing
> > away all these "very old" frames and the result is silence...
>
> Could two * boxes over a ~4ms link manage to bugger up the timestamps for
> three or four seconds?  I had an issue with my setup in where connections
> going to the VOIP provider but not through the remote PRI would now and again
> get three seconds of absolute dead silence in one direction only.  After the
> "gap" audio returned to normal.
>
> Path (no NAT, middle * box never got out of the loop since lefthand * box was
> on private LAN with middle * box's 2nd ethernet adapter):
>
> Nortel MICS -> Adit600 -> T100P(*1) -> IAX2 -> (*2) -> IAX2 -> Nufone
>
> *2 also has a TE405P with one port going to a telco PRI for local
> incoming/outgoing calls.  There was never dead audio on calls going in/out
> the PRI, only through Nufone.
>
> Jeremy and friends suggested disabling jitter buffer between *1 and *2,
> switching to GSM (from iLBC) and enabling trunking.  I had disabled trunking
> on *2 entirely since with jitter buffer enabled, trunking turned regular
> audio into what I would call "bursty" audio:
>
> Normal: "Hi, how are you today?"
> Bursty:  "Hihow....areyouto....day?"
>
> Nufone's suggestions fixed the problem but I'm curious as to what fixed it.  I
> hope to turn things back to the original way one thing at a time to see what
> fixes it but the dropouts were an infrequent thing and the system seems to
> just work now, so I'm hesitant to bugger around with it on a production
> system.  :-)

On our system when we had a private T1 to connect to asterisk machines,
we disabled the jitter buffer only to get those gaps fixed. We had a
~4ms ping times, and we thought the jitter buffer over such a short link
was causing trouble with the echo cancel stuff. Since we needed echo
cancel, we dropped jitter. Then everything cleaned up.