[Asterisk-Dev] Accept patch to make iax2's calc_timestamp suspicious about the ast_frame.delivery value?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Jun 18 05:08:10 MST 2004

On Friday 18 June 2004 03:10, steve at daviesfam.org wrote:
> This is bad when you use the jitter buffer as the buffer starts tossing
> away all these "very old" frames and the result is silence...

Could two * boxes over a ~4ms link manage to bugger up the timestamps for
three or four seconds?  I had an issue with my setup in where connections
going to the VOIP provider but not through the remote PRI would now and again
get three seconds of absolute dead silence in one direction only.  After the
"gap" audio returned to normal.

Path (no NAT, middle * box never got out of the loop since lefthand * box was
on private LAN with middle * box's 2nd ethernet adapter):

Nortel MICS -> Adit600 -> T100P(*1) -> IAX2 -> (*2) -> IAX2 -> Nufone

*2 also has a TE405P with one port going to a telco PRI for local
incoming/outgoing calls.  There was never dead audio on calls going in/out
the PRI, only through Nufone.

Jeremy and friends suggested disabling jitter buffer between *1 and *2,
switching to GSM (from iLBC) and enabling trunking.  I had disabled trunking
on *2 entirely since with jitter buffer enabled, trunking turned regular
audio into what I would call "bursty" audio:

Normal: "Hi, how are you today?"
Bursty:  "Hihow....areyouto....day?"

Nufone's suggestions fixed the problem but I'm curious as to what fixed it.  I
hope to turn things back to the original way one thing at a time to see what
fixes it but the dropouts were an infrequent thing and the system seems to
just work now, so I'm hesitant to bugger around with it on a production
system.  :-)

-A.