[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk and DECT

steve at daviesfam.org steve at daviesfam.org
Wed Jun 9 03:32:53 MST 2004

Hi,

I remember that I've seen the idea of an Asterisk server as DECT base
station ocassionally discussed on this list.

In my mind this would be pretty nifty as DECT can in principle provide
simultaneous wireless comms to a bunch of phones using just one radio
interface at the Asterisk end.

I've been poking around with this thought and came across Hoeft & Wessel
AG, who do this module:

  http://www.hoeft-wessel.com/en/products/HW86010.htm

In the docs I see that version 3 of the firmware "supports voice".  Or is
it "will support voice"..?

I wrote for a bit more info (not least the price).  At this stage I can't
really say how well it would dovetail with Asterisk.  Its probably a bit
intelligent - Asterisk prefers its interfaces dumb.  On the other hand,
that avoids having to implement the DECT protocols.

This module has enough oomph to handle 4 portable terminals (phones) at
the same time.

Any interest?

Can anyone point me to other modules like this, especially any that are
already integrated on a PCI card and have documentation to permit use from
Linux...

Thanks,
Steve