[Asterisk-Dev] Call authentication in Asterisk

Apollon Koutlides apollon at planewalk.net
Thu Jun 3 04:25:13 MST 2004

Aram Ter-Martirosyan wrote:

>	I have seen a lot of people talking about using asterisk as a prepaid
>calling card platform.  I was wondering how would one perform call
>authentication in Asterisk -
>1.Is there a Radius support in Asterisk?

Yes, some. Check the wiki.

>2.What other authentication mechanism can be used with Asterisk?

- The asterisk database, variables, DBget/DBput/DBdel etc. (not very
flexible)
- app_authenticate with text files/asterisk database (not very extensible)
- Custom AGI applications (not very scalable)
- app_prepaid (see wiki)
- Your application here :-)

>3.Is it possible to use Asterisk as IVR system for Prepaid calling platform?

I do, on a daily basis and with decent (for Greece) call volumes. I do
both one-stage and two-stage dialling, and, having had experience from
other (commercial and quite expensive) platforms, I can say I'm more
than satisfied. The system has been implemented in a fairly awkward
fashion (Perl/AGI) but works like a charm if you leave scalability
aside. I intend to move the whole setup to asterisk applications, and
release as soon as it is somewhat stable.

Apollon Koutlides