[Asterisk-Dev] HEAD - Advanced voicemail behaviour change

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Jun 1 08:46:42 MST 2004

On Tuesday 01 June 2004 11:24, Jesse Janzer wrote:
> While we were using asterisk, my CEO had me working on changing the
> voicemail structure so that the numbers were "industry standard". I
> spent a lot of time looking around for standards, analyzed our old phone
> system, etc. There is no standard as far as I could tell. The only thing
> close is: 7 delete, 9 saves. However we are using an Inter-Tel system
> now and they have the numbers flipped: 9 delete, 7 saves. The bottomline
> is that it's difficult to find that best fit. I had been toying around
> with the idea of changing the voicemail code so that it reads a config
> file for it's structure... Basically breaking it up just like the rest
> of the system so you can call functions from a config file and configure
> how the flow of the system works. Unfortunately, we are no longer using
> asterisk so I don't have as much time to work on it as I would like.

I'm used to the Bell Canada version:

3 - skip a few (3?) seconds
33 - skip to end of message
1 - skip back a few (3?) seconds
11 - skip to start of message
7 - delete
9 - save

There's forward (with the ability to prepend your own message) and listen to
envelope too, but I never use them so I don't know what they are offhand :-)

Regards,
Andrew