[Asterisk-Dev] voicemail message number limits

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sun Jul 25 12:15:04 MST 2004

On Sunday 25 July 2004 12:36, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > No, he would refuse to merge it, because it wasn't DISCLAIMED to
> > Digium.  Granting a specific license and assigning copyright are
> > two very different things.  NEITHER of the disclaimers currently
> > in use by Digium assign your copyright to Digium.
>
> Here is the first line of the first disclaimer:
>
> ____________________________ hereby disclaims all copyright
>    interest in the changes and enhancements made by
> __________________ to the program "asterisk" or "astcc" (the
> "Program").
>
> That very obviously transfers any copyright in the code to the
> public domain. Granted, this does not transfer it to Digium, it
> goes even farther!

But, assigning and releasing copyright are, again, two very different
things.  Assigning a copyright means that you have transferred all of
your rights to another entity.  In fact, with assigned copyright, the
entity you just transferred to could file a legal claim against you
for usage of that code, even if you wrote that code.  But releasing
your copyright does something entirely different:  you're giving up
your copyright, and nobody can press a claim against you or anybody
else for using the code under copyright.

So, again, when releasing to the public domain, Digium cannot take
action against you for using your code, which is the point I was
refuting.

--
Tilghman