[Asterisk-Dev] voicemail message number limits

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at backtobasicsmgmt.com
Sun Jul 25 10:36:07 MST 2004

Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> No, he would refuse to merge it, because it wasn't DISCLAIMED to
> Digium.  Granting a specific license and assigning copyright are two
> very different things.  NEITHER of the disclaimers currently in use by
> Digium assign your copyright to Digium.

Here is the first line of the first disclaimer:

____________________________ hereby disclaims all copyright
   interest in the changes and enhancements made by __________________
   to the program "asterisk" or "astcc" (the "Program").

That very obviously transfers any copyright in the code to the public
domain. Granted, this does not transfer it to Digium, it goes even farther!

The second (more complete) disclaimer, however, does just grant Digium a
  license to use the code, without transferring or waiving copyright
interest.

> That is patently false.  Cut, SayUnixTime, and several other
> applications that I've written are copyright Tilghman Lesher.  I've
> only granted a license to Digium for them to do whatever they like
> with the code (including releasing it under the GPL, for public
> consumption).

This is certainly correct.