[Asterisk-Dev] voicemail message number limits

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sat Jul 24 15:42:49 MST 2004

On Saturday 24 July 2004 17:12, dking at pimpsoft.com wrote:
> Please don't flame me. It only makes yourself look immature; If I
> was really the one at fault I would be beneath you and you would
> not fame me, but you have and so it is clear I am not.

Uh huh.  You keep thinking that.  There's an error in logic that
you've made here, but I'll save that for last.

> As to my suggestion I believed that the memory slots for the
> messages did not populate until they where needed; I assumed that
> basic memory management was not something that confounded the
> people writing the code; Having ten or even a million possible
> buckets does not mean that they are all filled with water and a
> bi-directional linked list is really not that hard if you can code
> something to control the phone system.

There are reasons we don't use linked lists for some things (speed
is chief among them).

> And just for the record, I have not and can not sign the crap NDA
> for the source, or sign the required fax so It makes no sense that
> I browse the code; It may not be a NDA per-se, but when you require
> paperwork to join a open source project not even 1.0 stable yet
> your requiring too much, and you can not honestly expect people to
> trust it.

It's not an NDA (non-disclosure agreement).  In fact, there's nothing
even close to a non-disclosure clause in any of the disclaimers.  One
disclaimer grants a license for Digium to use your contributed code;
the other disclaimer releases your work into a body of work that needs
no license (public domain).  Please do not spit up three-letter
acronyms without having an understanding of what they mean; once
again, you've made yourself look stupid.

Now as to your inability to sign a disclaimer, I can only conclude
that you're under the legal age to sign a contract.  In this case, you
are perfectly able to have your parent or guardian sign a disclaimer
on your behalf and fax it to Digium.  In spite of your apparent
disability to have a disclaimer signed and delivered, this fact by no
means precludes you from looking at the source, or even altering it.
The only thing that not having a signed disclaimer means is that any
changes you make cannot be contributed back.

> I was just trying to help; I may be wrong and in fact I know for a
> fact that I am ignorant to many things regarding asterisk and its
> design (And I have admitted this freely many times), but if you
> really feel that you are so high and mighty and by thus feel that
> disrespecting others by flaming them is a ok thing to do, you
> should also be aware that someone so high and respectable would
> never do such a thing.

Logic problem:  you're assuming that your supposition is correct and
drawing a conclusion, despite having cited no evidence to support that
supposition.  I have a third possibility for you:  your supposition is
wrong, I've made significant contributions to the Asterisk code base,
and I _have_ just flamed you.  Again.

--
Tilghman