[Asterisk-Dev] UK Caller ID patch and new CVS

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Jul 24 05:22:36 MST 2004

> Rich Adamson [radamson at routers.com] wrote:
> > Its also fairly common knowledge the x100p was not designed/built by
> > digium, but rather they choose to use an existing modem card that had
> > the chipsets (etc) that could be used for entry-level systems at a
> > very low cost, and those cards _were_ being manufactured in hugh
> > volumes making the cost per card very reasonable. (Compare that
> > cost to what you'd pay Nortel for the equivalent as one example.)
> > Its certainly not difficult to understand the economics of that and
> > its certain that most understand modem sales (worldwide) have
> > dropped very significantly. That suggests the x100p-type (and the
> > follow on x101p) cards will become more extinct over the next
> > months/years.
> >
> The X100P cards seem to fall into two camps: "genuine Digium" or
> "clones".  That would seem to contradict your statement, although I
> believe that you are correct.  Perhaps someone could clarify this for
> future reference.

Think the digium vs clone thing has been beat to death over the last
eight months or so. In support of the objective, I stuck with the
genuine directly from digium. Regardless of the source, I wish I
could contribute more in the area of tweeking the code associated
with the various pstn interfaces (including echo cancellation)
but my linux & C programming skills are very sub-elementary at best.
Given my 20+ years as a technical telco engineer (including
transmission engineering, central office engineering, etc), I
understand the telephony piece vary well, have access to some
central offices, but don't have a clue how to apply those skills
to debug C code in linux.

If someone could jump-start those skills in the form on helping me
understand how to monitor variable values in the linux environment,
etc, I think I could contribute towards improvemnet in some of these
areas. I've been using Visual Studio for a fair number of windows
projects, and can write/debug code in that environment.

Can someone point me to an article or provide maybe a valid example
of how one would montior the zaptel.c variable "chan->echolastupdate"
(as an example only)? I'm assuming I'd have to insert some sort of
printf statement and direct that output to my telnet session, but
I don't have a clue how to do that. Or, maybe that's the wrong
approach and I'm should use the linux debugger (never used it)
instead. Can someone help me as a clueless beginner with an old
Comp Sci degree? (pretty please)

Rich