[Asterisk-Dev] UK Caller ID patch and new CVS

Conroy, Lawrence (SMTP) lwc at roke.co.uk
Fri Jul 23 07:29:08 MST 2004

Hi folks,
   First, many thanks to the good people who developed this patch set.
I now get Caller ID on my home line, so I do have a use for the
Pissy that was keeping my door open (and one of its PCI slots).
I have an X100P and S100U and that's it for zaptel devices so
this hack is fine by me. Progress tone/Busy Detection/Call Cleardown
supervision is a "bridge too far", but at least I can process based
on who's calling at last; A GOOD THING. Mother-in-Law processing is Go.

As I understand it, the patch includes a low-level hack to the kernel
driver to add the ring buffer. Look at the bugnotes - the concern seems
to be that this may lead to fragility in the core code and make it
harder
to maintain for other zaptel devices. Fair enough - I don't use any of
the
other kinds of zaptel devices, so I'm unfamiliar with the code.

However, this one's going to be in my standard "download, patch, build"
cycle from now one unless someone goes out of their way to break it.

We have contribs in Asterisk, so is it time to get contribs in Zaptel
as well?

all the best,
   Lawrence

On 23 Jul 2004, at 14:12, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> <snip>
> It's just Good Karma to support Digium.
>
> Frankly though, I don't think ANYONE should buy these cards, clone or
> no -- Get
> the TDMxx series.
Why?
Does progress tone/call supervision/CLI work in the UK for the TDM4xx?
(at least now CLI works with the X100P :).

In my experience, ISDN works very well with Junghanns's excellent
chan_capi
(and the AVM passive cards are cheaper) so if a couple of lines is all
you need, ...

Visit our website at www.roke.co.uk

Roke Manor Research Ltd, Roke Manor, Romsey, Hampshire SO51 0ZN, UK.

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential to
Roke Manor Research Ltd and must not be passed to any third party without
permission. This communication is for information only and shall not create or
change any contractual relationship.