[Asterisk-Dev] Request for comments on CTI integration

Apollon Koutlides apollon at planewalk.net
Thu Jul 15 03:50:02 MST 2004

Sunrise Ltd wrote:

>I agree that astman is a good candidate for getting the
>info *out* of Asterisk and into the server daemon.
>
>But I don't think it is a good idea to extend the entire
>control astman gives to a client which is only supposed to
>be given *information* (not control) on a *single user's*
>extension.

Nonsense. astman already boasts access & priviledges control.

>Also, astman does not provide all the information.

So extend it, although I doubt you really need to. It's really not that
hard...

>The client application should be able to give the end user
>information along the following lines ...
>
><time-stamp> via NTT: Yamamoto Yusuke (03) 5533-1234 is
>calling you on extension 2105
>
><time-stamp> via NTT: Yamamoto Yusuke on (03) 5533-1234 is
>being forwarded via YahooBB to your mobile phone 090
>7755-1111
>
><time-stamp> via FWD: Fred Flintstone on 212345 is calling
>you on FWD 354321 forwarded to extension 2105
>
><time-stamp> via YahooBB: Barney Smith on (050) 543-2211
>is calling you on extension 2105
>
>Astman doesn't know the names of networks, it only knows
>channels. That means the client will have to be taught
>about the available channels and maintain a table of
>assignments of networks to channels. This would mean
>replication of information not easily available to the
>end-user for at each end-user device. Very bad design.

You obviously haven't really looked into asterisk... OR the astman
facility, for that matter. You can just as well set a channel variable
to keep track of the network or any other information you need to
maintain on the CTI client side, and retrieve it through astman's GetVar
action. Of course, there's a lot more you can do, but it seems like
you're trying to force the tools to suit your preception of how they
should work. It's your prerogative, but it doesn't mean that any
specific part of asterisk is badly designed for any kind of application.
Neither the contrary, of course...

--
Apollon Koutlides