[Asterisk-Dev] How IAX workd behind the firewall

Craig Southeren craigs at postincrement.com
Mon Jul 12 05:47:28 MST 2004

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 07:28:18 -0600
Rich Adamson <radamson at routers.com> wrote:

..deleted

> So, to answer the original poster's question, configuring a firewall
> for sip is much more difficult then iax mostly due to the need for
> multiple udp ports required for a sip session (that are selected based on
> specific vendor implementations), verses a single udp port required
> for iax.

As far as I understand, that is absolutely correct.

IAX requires a single random UDP port.

SIP requires 2 adjacent UDP ports for RTP, plus 1 random UDP port for
signalling.

H.323 requires 2 adjacent UDP ports for RTP, plus 1 random TCP port for
signalling.

   Craig

 Craig Southeren, craigs at postincrement.com http://www.postincrement.com
 Post Increment - Software, Consulting and Services
 Co-founder of the only open source H.323 project
 Phone: +61 2 43654666   Fax: +61 2 43673140   Mobile: +61 417 231046
 ICQ: #86852844          MSN: craig_southeren at hotmail.com
 GnuPG Public Key:  http://www.postincrement.com/pgp.txt
 Blog:              http://www.southeren.com/blog/