[Asterisk-Dev] Fax support?

Craig Southeren craigs at postincrement.com
Sat Jul 10 17:39:25 MST 2004

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 11:21:36 -0700
Bruce Ferrell <bferrell at baywinds.org> wrote:

> Noodling around on the ITU site, google and packetizer, it would appear
> T.38 is pretty tightly tied to H.323 as a "codec" (ITU puts it in there
> with 261/263/723.1 etc)

Notionally, T.38 can be treated like a code, but it is not dependent on
H.323 in any way. Just like G.711, or H.261, T.38 is a stand-alone
encoding that can be used by itself or as part of a larger protocol.

> I suspect under SIP it would have to show up as a modem
> passthrough/relay over G.711

T.38 certainly is certainly handled much like a codec under SIP, but is
completely independent of G.711 as the data encoding. However, it is
considered useful to provide G.711 an alternate codec when making a fax
call just in case the other end is not a fax machine, and because some
equipment (Cisco in particular) require the fax start tone as G.711
before they will switch into fax mode.

Even though T.38 is handled like a codec, the T.38 payload data is not
RTP at all but is actually the underlying T.30 data stream with a very
thin wrapper to allow resequencing of the data (and to offer redundancy
if using an unreliable transport like UDP). In other words, if you
consider that a normal fax call is actually just a two-way T.30
bitstream via modulated fsk audio tones (exactly like a old-style modem),
then T.38 defines how to perform the same exchange of the same pattern
of bits over a transport like UDP or Tcp that does not require the use
of audio modulation.

That's how programs like t38modem (from the OpenH323 project) work -
they create pseudo-modem device that converts AT commands into T.30 data
and then wrap it with T.38 headers. No audio modulation or demodulation
ever takes place.

   Craig

 Craig Southeren, craigs at postincrement.com http://www.postincrement.com
 Post Increment - Software, Consulting and Services
 Co-founder of the only open source H.323 project
 Phone: +61 2 43654666   Fax: +61 2 43673140   Mobile: +61 417 231046
 ICQ: #86852844          MSN: craig_southeren at hotmail.com
 GnuPG Public Key:  http://www.postincrement.com/pgp.txt
 Blog:              http://www.southeren.com/blog/