[Asterisk-Dev] MeetMe Improvement

Dr. Rich Murphey rich at WhiteOakLabs.com
Tue Jul 6 16:08:25 MST 2004

> From: asterisk-dev-admin at lists.digium.com
> [mailto:asterisk-dev-admin at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Alastair Maw
>
> Mike Mitchell wrote:
>
> >> How about not requiring any type of timer anymore?
>

> On 06/07/04 18:20, Jeremy McNamara wrote:
>
> > Ok Mr. Smart guy, show us how to mix audio without a 1000hz
> interrupt.
> >
> > Every Conference application i've ever seen (even outside
> of asterisk)
> > requires an interrupt.
>
> This blatantly isn't required. You accept that conferencing
> will introduce a small delay (which you need anyway to
> de-jitter the UDP packets), write the streams into circular
> buffers, and mix these buffers down 20ms later.
> It's not exactly rocket science.
>
> I know that this works, because I'm running conferencing on
> my Java IAX2 stack across tens of simultaneous calls using
> nothing better than
> Thread.sleep() (which has a resolution of about 23ms on a 2.4 kernel).

The RTP stack uses a packet scheduler that doesn't require zaptel for
timing.

I'm curious.. Who knows of any reasons that a hardware clock would be better
than a software scheduler for this?  Is there a reason we wouldn't want to
use a software scheduler?

Rich