[Asterisk-Dev] Fax detection, handling and bridged calls?

john harragin jharragi at mw.k12.ny.us
Mon Jan 26 14:29:03 MST 2004

I've been getting echo on bridged calls with echocancelwhenbridged=no. It
appears that many of my toshiba pbx (connected with an em_w T1) calls are
being detected as fax calls. 'Fax Detected, but no fax extension'. In
'zap show channel' 'echo cancellation' is indeed off - but 'Fax Handled'
is yes. This is introducing some pecular echo.

I have not yet determined why this is happening - I have some centrex
trunks on the pbx. Perhaps it is sending * some centrex stuff that is
being interpreted as fax tones. I'm still looking... but this behavior
still leads to some questions.

I suspect 'fax handling' should probably bi-pass on bridged calls with
echocancelwhenbridged=no - but as a non-user of this feature, I'm not
sure what all of the benefits are. Whatever, it seems that nothing good
can come from adding delay to a psudo-tdm fax call. In this case the call
should merely be routed to a fax extension if desired. Am I overlooking
something?

Anyway, in this particular case, it would be fine to disable fax
detection & handling completely. Can this already be done?

John

This message was sent using Monroe-Woodbury's WebMail.
http://webmail.mw.k12.ny.us/

This e-mail was scanned and found clean by Monroe-Woodbury's Antivirus.