[Asterisk-Dev] IAX2 Transfer Message Sequence?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Jan 16 11:12:58 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 11:22, Steven Sokol wrote:
> <flame heat="moderate" duration="short">
> I understand that the best way to learn about this stuff is to read the
> source.  While I am a newbie to Asterisk, I am a professional developer.
> What really chaps my hide is when some erstwhile guru responds to a
> direct, logical question with a terse: "Read the source." What do you
> think I have been doing?  I'm not asking about how to set up bloody
> Music-On-Hold here.  I am asking an intelligent question about the inner
> workings of the system.  Please don't bother to respond if you all you
> are going to do is tell me to read the source.  I already know that.  I
> really would like to help.  I want to add something to the community,
> but bullshit answers don't really fuel the fire.
> </flame>

As a professional developer, you should be able to appreciate that the
definitive answer is in the source.

As a user, you should appreciate the fact that someone at least bothered
to answer anything instead of ignoring you and letting you go whine
about how you where ignored.

You see the problem we end up in. Ignore you and you have fodder for a
juvenile whine fest. Answer your question in a manner that it
appropriate and you have fodder for the same whine, but exposing your
wish for the knowledge to be broken down into kindergarten size bites.

You have a few choices of source to read from to determine the answer
you seek. There is asterisk itself, and there is libiax. If you go
looking into it, you might be able to tell whats going on. If you are
still looking for explanation, maybe you need to set up 2 machines to
transfer calls around while you watch with ethereal and the iax protocol
plugin that has been mentioned in the mailing list.

Answers abound for those who wish to dig for them. If you aren't yet
ready to do a lot of digging, then maybe you aren't ready to get your
hands dirty in a opensource project.

I hope you decide to turn off your flame thrower, and pick up a shovel.
You can dig your way out of this hole, and into the code. You will be
much better of for having done so.

BTW, I don't know the answer to your question, but I bet if I spent a
hour or so in that section of code I could tell you. So get in there and
do some looking around.