[Asterisk-Dev] Re: External Call Control/ CTI

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Jan 12 14:10:02 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 11:16, toms at xmission.com wrote:
> Regarding call control, the issue is not really buying an external
> application. It is really the fact that I already have an external
> application that is fully mature. Rewriting it to FIT into asterisk does
> not make sense. It would be a better use of resources to make an external
> call control interface to asterisk to allow the existing code to work. The
> benefit is that other CTC Client (CT Connect) applications can then use
> asterisk as a backend. THis would be useful even as a demonstration
> platform. You could being asterisk on a laptop with a 323 phone and route
> calls around rather than hauling a circuit switched platform around.
>
> SO, I do not knot doubt it is possible to put the logic in asterisk, but it
> does not make sense with all the code out there to do call routing
> properly.

So you want to do improper call routing? :)

> This thread has answered my question. I will start to investigate adding the
> required call control interfaces to the product.

Please spend a few minutes of time familiarizing yourself with the
current queue code. It is probably much easier to bring your software
into the asterisk way by dropping all the CTI stuff than to implement
CTI into asterisk.

BTW, it is possible to take a laptop with whatever softphone with you
for demonstrations already. Only a few minor pieces require a Zap
device, and those can be fooled by some software.

Of course if you are trying to hold onto your software and need the CTI
abstraction to do so, I'm sure we will understand. Everyone wants to
make a few bucks.