[Asterisk-Dev] benevolent dictatorship, or inclusive developper community?

Martin Kihlgren zond at troja.ath.cx
Thu Jan 8 17:28:45 MST 2004

> Like FreeBSD.  Take a look at all the band aids they have
> for keeping CVS from puking on itself:
>
>     http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/cvs-freebsd/article.html

This just shows the power of CVS - that you can actually mangle it that much
and it still works.

I admit that it isnt trivial to add acl to CVS, but that article shows that
it is possible. And most projects dont need that kind of granular access.

> Spend an afternoon merging a branch back into a CVS tree,
> and you'll never want to do it again.  I really think a
> large part of the reason many open source projects don't
> release that often is because CVS doesn't make it that
> easy.

Ihave merged branches in CVS many times, and it never takes an afternoon.
Not if you do it right, anyway.

The only handholding CVS needs to merge files is when the files have been
changed at the same place - and there is _no_ automatic merging-algorithm to
solve that problem.

//Martin