[Asterisk-Dev] benevolent dictatorship, or inclusive developper community?

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 15:52:36 MST 2004

OK, We can argue CVS vs. BitKeeper.  But it will become a
short argument when you read the fine print in BitKeepers
license terms.  Basically Digium would have to pay not
a few bucks as all their work is not Open Source.

No doubt BitKeeper has a smarter merge algorithum than does CVS.
CVS is pretty dumb.  But Asterisk is a relitively small software
ssystem with few developers.

While BitKeeper is now used to hold the Linux Kernel sources, this
is a recent development.  For years people would simply e-mail
Linus a patch and he'd apply it (or not) by hand and no version
control system of any kind was used.  In fact Linus resisted using
one for a long, long time and prefered to do the work manually.
So to argue that something like BitKeeper is _required_ is not
quite true as _most_ of the kernel was developed using only "diff"
and "patch".

But keep in mind the size of the Asterisk code base.  It is not
all that large.  You can count lines of code (LOC) many different
ways.I like to simply count semicolons with something like this:
  grep ";" * | wc
Every other metric I've seem is roughly proportional to the above
so for relative comparisons I think it is "good enough"

Using the above, we can compare Asterisk to both the PostgreSQL
DBMS and to the Linux kernel.

  Asterisk      41,000
  Postgresql   130,000
  Kernel     1,300,000

The kernel is about 30X larger in terms of LOC and maybe 200X
larger in terms of the number of developers working on it.
The kernel is about two orders of magnitude larger problem.

> On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Chris Albertson waxed:
>
> > (see update command in cvs manpage). So, yes you could have
> > multiple lines of developmentand merge them back into a main line.
>
> Yeah and live in a nightmare.  The kernel only uses CVS as a
> daily (or whatever) dump of what's in BitKeeper.  People
> submit patches against CVS, sure, but the "branching" is
> done with BK repositories.
>
>     http://www.bitkeeper.com/
>
> --Chris
>

> --
>
> Chris Maj <cmaj_hat_freedomcorpse_hot_info>
> Pronunciation Guide:  Maj == May
> Fingerprint: 43D6 799C F6CF F920 6623  DC85 C8A3 CFFE F0DE C146

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
  Cell:   310-990-7550