[Asterisk-Dev] benevolent dictatorship, or inclusive developper community?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Jan 8 12:22:19 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 12:08, Peter Nixon wrote:
> On Thursday 08 January 2004 18:59, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 10:32, C. Maj wrote:
> > > On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Chris Albertson waxed:
> > >
> > > Yeah and live in a nightmare.  The kernel only uses CVS as a
> > > daily (or whatever) dump of what's in BitKeeper.  People
> > > submit patches against CVS, sure, but the "branching" is
> > > done with BK repositories.
> > >
> > >     http://www.bitkeeper.com/
> >
> > Well without dredging up the BK vs. every other revision control
> > software flame war, lets just point out that that wouldn't be a viable
> > option here.
> >
> > I would suggest subversion, but it is easier to stick with what more
> > people know at this moment and not force anyone to deal with the
> > conversion of the tree one more time.
>
> Subversion is hardly a great leap from CVS with regards learning curve. Simply
> replace all "cvs" commands with "svs". Of course there are some extra, but I
> guess they are not so necessary for simple usage..
>
> SVS would seem to be the best fit for an upgrade should one been required..

While I use subversion for my work, I'm not ready to push others into
it. I have experienced the berkley DB crashing on certain commits
regularly. There are still pretty important bugs left in it. Well at
least in the revisions I am currently using. My repository is on a .26
while my workstation is using .33.

BTW, Don't use reply all on these lists. I will get a copy via the
normal mailing list and do not need a copy that you sent outside of the
list.