[Asterisk-Dev] benevolent dictatorship, or inclusive developper community?

Martin Kihlgren zond at troja.ath.cx
Wed Jan 7 16:39:12 MST 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 04:04:14PM -0600, Steven Critchfield wrote:
[snip]
> Here is where I need someone with CVS admin experience to step in and
> confirm or deny the ability to make some mini forks that specific
> maintainers could then administer. Something along the lines of maybe a
> fork that Jeremy administered all the H323 stuff and if you needed it to
> be bleeding edge, that is the fork you track. As that subset feels it is
> stable, a diff is merged back to the main code. Similar maintainers
> could take responsibility for their sub branches, and then we might have
> moved Mark into coordinating releases and maintainers as well as guiding
> the project. This also allows Mark and group to maintain the main stable
> branch and only bring in patches that have been tested and work. Having
> the patches in the CVS tree will make testing these patches a bit easier
> than the bugtracker.

Making branches (if that is what you mean) is trivial in cvs, but many seem
to want to avoid it due to perceived problems. It is indeed more complex
than a normal cvs (which may be complex enough) but it is certainly worth
the extra complexity if you need the benefits you get.

Making it so commiters only can commit to one branch is not trivial either,
but shouldnt be too hard using the various commit support-files (the same
files that can be used for checking compileability before commit, for
example).

> Of course the trouble there could be that you will have a couple of
> branches you want to track together. Someone recently was discussing
> SIP-H323 stuff, and would possible have to try and merge the 2 trees
> together. OF course it should be too bad as if you break it along those
> types of lines, the core doesn't get changed too much if at all in any
> of the branches.

Merging cvs-branches can be a pain, but if you do it often and tag every
merge you can manage it without too much nosebleed..

And if I could just just checkout the "bleeding edge NAT and SIP"-version of
* instead of "the cranky old * with month-old bugs still in it"-version and
then patch it using my own handmade patches, my quality of life would
increase tenfold.

> I'll leave this alone now and allow someone to comment specifically on
> feasibility of my proposal on technical terms, then lesser so on
> organization.

Well, here you got my $0.02, anyway :D

regards,
//Martin

My idea of roughing it is when room service is late.