[Asterisk-Dev] Current database abstraction effort ?

Martin Kihlgren zond at troja.ath.cx
Wed Jan 7 03:07:18 MST 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 04:48:07PM -0300, CW_ASN - Gus wrote:
> > The trouble is that curretly Asterisk will not re-read files
> > to check for changes made in real-time.  This could be fixed
> > without much work by adding the new concept of an "experation
> > date" tag to every data item stored in Asterisks (current) internal
> > database.

> The other way could be send an ODBC query only when * needs a data. This
> behavior could be the best way to work with a database. I assume that the
> final goal is to change data in real time, without timeouts or expiration
> time (I think).

Yes, having the possibility of adding peers or extension (and possibly other
configuration) in runtime and automatically having them added to the
configuration is a very much needed feature.

Today that can be accomplished through an external script that adds to or
removes from a config-file and then reloads, but that is a clunky solution,
and not really useful when the configuration gets large.

The problem with this is probably that the the config-file-using parts of
asterisk would need a big rewrite to access the config-data on a lazy basis
instead of a "read and parse once and then reload on request"-basis.

A middle-way would be to just implement another config-source that uses odbc
for example, and let the config-file-using parts of * just do their normal
stuff, but add AGI or CLI functions to those that need it to add/remove
configuration in runtime, and let the agent doing the AGI or CLI calling do
the same change to the config-source.

That is not a very elegant solution, though ..

I am afraid I am not sufficiently good at * to implement the
lazy-config-read solution, however much needed it is :/

regards,
//Martin

My idea of roughing it is when room service is late.