[Asterisk-Dev] Current database abstraction effort ?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Jan 6 02:47:48 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 02:53, Nicolas Bougues wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 10:18:25AM -0800, Chris Albertson wrote:
> >
> > The performance cost is low.  Even on a larg PBX how many CDR
> > records per second are written?  My guess is that 100 per second
> > would be a LOT.  But 100/sec would not tax a reasonable PC running
> > ODBC
> >

> Err, well. As a matter of fact, I'm not planning to implement a
> database abstraction layer *just* to handle CDRs. Registration and
> extensions lookup are on the list as well.
>
> And this can somewhat increase the lookup rate.
>
> Anyway, I'm starting to work with ODBC stuff, since :
> - performance cost seems to be acceptable
> - this may be the way to clear some licensing mess with mysql (which,
>   I think, will be the most widely used backend)

Unfortunately this is where I am most concerned. Support on the list is
already getting to be intense, and introducing mysql into the mix may
make it impossible for some people.

BTW, extension lookups in a DB more than once is wasteful and way
suboptimal. Loading them all at start time makes the DB nothing more
than a fancy flat file with a funny editing language.

Also, have you given any thought as to how you can maintain comments in
the configuration that are relevant when the DB doesn't insure order of
results?