[Asterisk-Dev] Non RFC-compliance

William Waites asterisk at lists.styx.org
Sun Feb 22 19:09:41 MST 2004

I am working with a SIP implementation that gives 101 Dialog Establishment
session progress message in response to an INVITE request. Asterisk
produces the following log message:

Feb 22 20:29:14 NOTICE[65541]: chan_sip.c:5074 handle_response: Dunno anything about a 101 Dialog Establishement response from SIP/.....

 From RFC3261:

8.1.3.2 Unrecognized Responses

   A UAC MUST treat any final response it does not recognize as being
   equivalent to the x00 response code of that class, and MUST be able
   to process the x00 response code for all classes.  For example, if a
   UAC receives an unrecognized response code of 431, it can safely
   assume that there was something wrong with its request and treat the
   response as if it had received a 400 (Bad Request) response code.  A
   UAC MUST treat any provisional response different than 100 that it
   does not recognize as 183 (Session Progress).  A UAC MUST be able to
   process 100 and 183 responses.

A look at the code indicates that it is not handling the 101
correctly -- i.e. it is not treating it as a 183.

I humbly suggesst that you might want to bring your SIP implementation
into compliance with the standards.

/w
--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign