[Asterisk-Dev] Features requests on bugs.digium.com

Josh Roberson twisted at indigent-networks.com
Fri Dec 31 17:37:12 MST 2004

Michael Giagnocavo wrote:

>Alright, don't flame me... but, what if something was tried ala MSDN Product
>Feedback Center? Anyone can report a bug or feature (after being forced to
>search first).

I like this approach so far..

>Then, anyone can vote for it (1-5), so the most "important" issues come up
>to the top. Other people can confirm repros, post workarounds, etc. -- apart
>from the general chat on the issue. Then Microsoft (in this case, whoever
>Digium deems worthy) can make resolutions, and even some non-MS people (in
>this case, say people who've proven to know something about Asterisk) can
>suggest resolutions to speed up MS's job.

I also like this idea.  Maybe we should run this by digium, and actually
go with a newer, more 'scalable' system.

>This way, the really dumb or silly stuff just sinks to the bottom, while
>issues that others find pressing are called out more prominently. This is
>more of a 'front-end' for the public, not a Product Studio kind of thing,
>but it'll definitely help. It's really doing some wonders on the current
>in-progress Visual Studio, as it spreads out the work to the community.

This is where I begin to have a problem with it.  Rather than it sinking
to the bottom, if it's not going to happen, why even let it sit there?
Don't flame me either, but we have a good idea of what has a chance to
make it in, and what will never happen.  Unfortunately, there are lots
of requests, even some with patches and contributions, that will never
make it into the tree.  Rather than let them sit at the bottom of the
list, doing nothing but taking up space, they need to be dealt with, and
currently, that way is to close them.

Do you have a system that works like you stated that we can get into and
play with all the way up to the administrative level?  Can't quite do
that on the MSDN site ;)