[Asterisk-Dev] Features requests on bugs.digium.com

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Fri Dec 31 15:53:23 MST 2004

Josh Roberson wrote:

> I completely agree with this.  I wouldn't see a repository for feature
> requests/enhancements as a graveyard - meerly another locaiton for
> advancement, and our current system as a place where you bring your
> bugs, and resolutions to bugs.   Perhaps we SHOULD look into a better
> method of bugtracking, perhaps, a new system (not mantis).  Got any
> suggestions?

Well, many projects use their -dev lists to actually propose, comment on
and hash out new features, so that they don't get put into the
"tracking" system until there's a base of support and usually some code
behind it. Asterisk is the only project I've ever participated in with a
(nearly) silent -dev list, and all the discussions happening on IRC or
non-public channels.

As a starting point, I suggest changing the policies to say that:

- if you are requesting a feature and not providing code to implement
it, post it to -dev first; if there is no response, then you are alone
in your request and will have to implement it yourself. If there is a
response, keep the thread alive and try to get some input/involvement to
get code produced; when that has happened, or is about to happen, THEN
(and only then) post a feature request in Mantis with a link to the -dev
thread that had the discussion.

- if you are requesting a feature _and_ providing the code, post it on
-dev first anyway, understanding that it will not be accepted or merged
by just being posted on -dev, but that you can get a wider audience for
your patch(es) and find out how much support there is for your
enhancement. Once you have learned how much support there is, THEN post
it in Mantis, again with a link to the -dev thread.

If these policies were in place, then the only features that would be
posted directly to Mantis would be those that are providing the code
_and_ are not likely to require a discussion amongst the community (in
other words, one or two bug marshals and Mark will be able to resolve it
because it's simple/obvious/RFC compliant/widely supported/etc.).

Thoughts?