[Asterisk-Dev] Features requests on bugs.digium.com

Darren Nickerson darren.nickerson at ifax.com
Fri Dec 31 15:49:26 MST 2004

"Josh Roberson" <twisted at indigent-networks.com> wrote:
>> Tilghman Lesher wrote:
>>
>>A bit of history on this:  a few months ago, Mark felt there were too many
>>bugs open on the bugtracker and threatened to shut down new reports if the
>>total number were not quickly reduced.  I don't remember the exact number,
>>but 200 open reports sticks in my mind.  The bug marshals (and I'm one of
>>them, so you can take it as you will) felt that to comply with this order
>>meant that we had to find other places for feature requests, bounties,
>>etc.,
>>which at the time were all tracked by Mantis.
>>
> Right. And seeing as Mark is the one channel/path that makes the final
> decision on wether or not things get added/changed/etc in the project, we
> have no choice to comply.

I'm glad to see this being put in a historical context.

Many of us on this list will be familiar with that period of Asterisk's
evolution. Things were shifting/evolving pretty rapidly, with a stable CVS
tree being cut then quickly obsoleted by the pace of development, ... and
everyone recognizing that eventually a 1.0.0 was going to have to get out
there ... it was a very fertile and exciting time.

I may be wrong, but I remember Mark's plea to the community being more in
the spirit of "we need volunteers to triage mantis issues and help us sort
the wheat from the chaff" rather than him wanting issues aggressively closed
to meet some arbitrary "acceptable" target.  I defer to your experience here
though, since you've likely received instruction directly from Mark and
you've concluded he wants to close feature requests out of Mantis. In which
case, I'm once again confused as to why this was posted as a discussion
topic on -devel, instead of just being stated as doctrine.

My point a few posts ago was that maybe things have leveled off enough to
the point where Asterisk has clearly proven itself production-ready, and
issues in mantis are no longer mostly show-stoppers. Perhaps it no longer
imperative (or appropriate) to slash & burn people's bug reports and/or
feature requests, instead leaving them there some someone else to stumble on
(and possibly fix), instead of having people just re-report the same ole'
issue/request. So what if a bug goes stale without feedback from the
reporter? Leave it open (possible de-prioritized) for someone else who might
stumble on it and offer a "me too", this time with more details. An example
of the value of the "me too" phenomenon can be see at:

    http://bugs.digium.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0002023

Despite heroic attempts by Rich Adamson to have this considered a bug (even
kram has noticed a 'surprising mismatch'), there it languishes as a feature
request, and STILL it's getting valuable, repeated hits from people who have
the same problem.

-Darren