[Asterisk-Dev] Features requests on bugs.digium.com

Josh Roberson twisted at indigent-networks.com
Fri Dec 31 14:19:44 MST 2004

Tilghman Lesher wrote:

>On Friday 31 December 2004 02:32, Simon Lockhart wrote:
>

>>On Thu Dec 30, 2004 at 11:34:14PM -0600, Josh Roberson wrote:
>>

>>>The problem that we are facing is that the bug
>>>tracker, which was meant to track BUGS for asterisk, as turned more into
>>>a repository for feature requests and feature adding patches.  I do not,
>>>for one, feel this is a place for these, and neither do most of the
>>>other bug marshals i've spoken to about this.    We need another system
>>>for handling such requests/patchces, and leave the patches that are on
>>>the bugtracker to be bug fixing patches, and bug reports.
>>>

>>What is the problem with using the Bug Tracker for feature requests? Does
>>it plain not work, or is it that the bug marshalls don't want to see them?
>>

>A bit of history on this:  a few months ago, Mark felt there were too many
>bugs open on the bugtracker and threatened to shut down new reports if the
>total number were not quickly reduced.  I don't remember the exact number,
>but 200 open reports sticks in my mind.  The bug marshals (and I'm one of
>them, so you can take it as you will) felt that to comply with this order
>meant that we had to find other places for feature requests, bounties, etc.,
>which at the time were all tracked by Mantis.

Right. And seeing as Mark is the one channel/path that makes the final
decision on wether or not things get added/changed/etc in the project,
we have no choice to comply.

>I personally disagree with Josh (twisted) on whether new features with patches
>ought to be on the bugtracker; indeed, the collective decision seemed to be
>that new features could probably be applied (and closed) quickly, thus we
>allowed them to stay on Mantis.

I was part of that decision as well.  If they can be applied and closed
quickly, there is no issue.  The problem is, they seem to linger.  We
request updates/status requests/testing findings/etc, and recieve no
response.  Unfortunately, when that happens, we can't just let it go
stale, we have to do something with it.

>While I may disagree with Mark from time to time about design decisions, I do
>note that Mantis is running on his (Digium's) equipment and bandwidth, and I
>respect his decision to keep the number of open bugs low.

Exactly.