[Asterisk-Dev] PERL vs C

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Wed Dec 29 23:48:34 MST 2004

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 11:15:00AM +0500, atif wrote:
> Asterisk Prepaid application written in C is better than written in PERL.
>
> C is a programming language that gives us fastest execution. PERL slower than C, and regular queries are slower than stored procedures.
>
> Perl is a scripting/programming language which is more suitable for glue logic and applications that do not require to many resources, and need to be changed more often. But it is not suited for real-time applications, though the execution time for a program that does too many database queries will be comparable with C since most of the overhead will be spent doing the queries, we can accelerate it by using stored procedures and triggers.
>
> comments ?

Yes. Your story doesn't make sense. Try this:

    C is a programming language that gives us fastest execution.

    Perl is a scripting/programming language which needs to be
    interpreted each time it gets started.

    Perl is more suitable for glue logic and applications that do
    not require to many resources, and need to be changed more
    often.

    PERL slower than C, and thus not suited for real-time applications.

    In databases, regular queries are slower than stored procedures.

    Heavy use of databases put the bottleneck in the database server
    instead of in the program using the database.

Not that I agree with the story, but at least it makes sense.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org
edwin at mavetju.org    |          Weblog: http://weblog.barnet.com.au/edwin/