[Asterisk-Dev] PERL vs C

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Dec 29 23:24:55 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 11:15 +0500, atif wrote:
> Asterisk Prepaid application written in C is better than written in
> PERL.
>
> C is a programming language that gives us fastest execution. PERL
> slower than C, and regular queries are slower than stored procedures.
>
> Perl is a scripting/programming language which is more suitable for
> glue logic and applications that do not require to many resources, and
> need to be changed more often. But it is not suited for real-time
> applications, though the execution time for a program that does too
> many database queries will be comparable with C since most of the
> overhead will be spent doing the queries, we can accelerate it by
> using stored procedures and triggers.

Language war? -user question?

Stored procedures and triggers doesn't increase speed.
"does too many queries", unless you haven't thought about the app, there
isn't too many queries.

Perl once compiled isn't much slower than C and unless you are doing
large deployments, the overhead of perl isn't very noticeable. The
question comes down to what you can program safely and quickly.