[Asterisk-Dev] realtime voicemail

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Tue Dec 28 09:47:12 MST 2004

On Tuesday 28 December 2004 02:57, Brian Capouch wrote:
> Andreas Sikkema wrote:
> > In this sense, Asterisk is a weird project. A very busy
> > users list and a near silent developers list.

Much of the development discussion happens in other forums, such
as IRC, Mantis, and a MeetMe conference arranged via IRC.  There's
no written record of what's said in the MeetMe conference, but the payback
is much quicker.

> Well that's because many on the developer's list declare ex cathedra
> that the questions posted aren't related to development.  You know; you
> have to keep out the lowlife users. . . . . .

If you remember why the Asterisk list was separated into -Users and -Dev, it
was because the Asterisk list was increasingly busy, and it was getting to be
a full time job just to wade through all the messages on that list.  By
keeping user questions and development questions separate, we ease the
management of different kinds of questions.

All too often, on the Asterisk list, we'd answer user questions with a
treatise on how they should go about implementing that feature, when all
the user wanted was a simple 'no'.

> I think, for instance, that Greg's question that started this whole
> thing was absolutely appropriate for discussion here.

I tend to agree with that, as it was a question about a possible bug,
especially given that he had previously posted to the Users list and nobody
identified the problem as a configuration issue.

> Maybe a -dev list and a -coders list, and the C coding purists who want
> to discuss nothing else can talk to one another on -coders?

Redefining list purposes is an exercise in futility.  If you want to define a
list filled with configuration issues masquerading as possible bugs, you can
start your own list for that (maybe asterisk-borderline).

--
Tilghman