[Asterisk-Dev] RE: [Asterisk-biz] Asterisktraining andcertification :: AstriconTraining

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Mon Dec 20 16:36:16 MST 2004

> Lastly, a specific question for Daniel Pocock: Your message seems to
> indicate that you are a contractor. In your win-win-win situation, how
> would you react if your employer/contractee decided that, although
> your work for them was/is exceptional, they were only going to award
> subsequent contracts to a dCAP certified individual or organization?

I wouldn't be bothered, because:
a) I try and give enough value to a company that they are getting more
back than what they are paying me - in such a situation, wouldn't they
be foolish to cut me off just because I don't have some letters after my
name?
b) I don't rely on any one single company as my main source of income.
This minimises the financial risk to me if something bad did happen (eg,
if a client had a management changeover, or went into liquidation)

Also, in response to comments that this is just a 'get rich quick
scheme', I would like to say that I fully support the concept in
principal, even though I may not fully support some of the details of
this scheme.  Good on you to those who are thinking this stuff up - but
please try and keep the development community on side.

In practice, a lot of the money spent on training comes from people who
are employees of big corporates or even better, public servants, who
have compulsory training budgets that have to be spent.  If some of
these people can push some of this money into companies that are
supporting Asterisk, some of it might get spent on more contributions to
the open source community, improved code, extra open source
documentation.  Wouldn't it be great to have as much online
documentation as Cisco, a company that has a very widely known
certification program.