[Asterisk-Dev] 3rd party call control / CSTA , JTAPI orTAPIinterfaces

Schaefer, Mark Mark.Schaefer at ONSTAR.com
Mon Dec 20 09:42:33 MST 2004

In the first case I mentioned, the vendor was responsible for the screw-up because their tech was at the console typing in commands and missed a step in the upgrade guide.

In the second case, we outsourced the entire environment and the vendor made a configuration change that brought the environment down.

In general, however, we use a third party (i.e. EDS) and they sign our SLA's.  They are then responsible for negotiating agreements with the OEM's that allow them to meet their SLA's with GM.

The main advantage of Asterisk in our lab is due to our arrangement with EDS.  EDS controls the switch, and thus is somewhat inflexible/expensive to meet our requirements.  In many cases, I am able to set up Asterisk in the short term, until we get the switch reconfigured properly.

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com]On Behalf Of Kevin P.
Fleming
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 11:20 AM
To: Asterisk Developers Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Dev] 3rd party call control / CSTA ,JTAPI
orTAPIinterfaces

Steve Underwood wrote:

> Out of interest, have you ever seen a vendor actually pay up for any
> downtime? My experience is support contracts are barely worth the paper
> they are written on. If you local support guy is a good one you are in
> luck. Otherwise, well, ......

The only time I have ever been involved in a contract arrangement like
this it required that the vendor be the _only_ one with access to
configure/manage the equipment, for obvious reasons.

Today, that would be untenable. There's no way I'd want to be stuck
waiting on them to make a simple config change, just so that I could be
protected in the case of something major going wrong. However, without
that provision, these sorts of contracts are just not very useful,
because it will just end up going to arbitration/court as both sides
argue over who is at fault for the downtime :-(
To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit: