[Asterisk-Dev] Seeking advice on choppy demo voice issue.

Bruno Hertz brrhtz at yahoo.de
Sun Dec 19 11:19:46 MST 2004

Hi

having discussed this on the users list without finding a resolution
maybe somebody here has an opinion on my problem.

My issue is choppy demo voice sound on a Debian Sarge box with
2.6.8-1-686 kernel. I experience that problem with either the
Debian asterisk package, version 1.0.2-2, with cvs version 1-0
and cvs latest.

What happens is, if I connect with either GnomeMeeting/oh323 or
iaxcomm over home LAN to that box, the demo which is played on
a fresh installation comes across crackling and with occasional
maybe 1 sec gaps. The voice is not actually lost during that gaps
but rather delayed.

I did a tcpdump, and obviously during that gaps, while the client
continues sending packets, it doesn't receive any from the server.

On the users list I was told this might be a timing issue and that
I'd try ztdummy. I did that but it didn't improve things.

Now, I have FC3 installed on the same box, and with cvs latest
compiled on it I do not have that issue. I.e. everything works
well on FC3, even without ztdummy.

So, I'm a bit out of my depth right now, and while wondering
wether I should file a bug on the Debian list, I'd still like to
hear what you people might have to say on this. Hints of course
highly appreciated.

Regards, Bruno.