[Asterisk-Dev] new dev question.

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Wed Dec 15 17:26:13 MST 2004

Jon Lawrence wrote:

>On Wednesday 15 December 2004 21:01, Brian West wrote:
>

>>exten => _ZXX,1,Playback(/some/custom/file)
>>exten => _ZXX,2,VoiceMail(s${EXTEN})
>>

>>No need to add this when you can do it with the tools you already have.  If
>>you want a real patch.. totally rewrite voicemail its turning into a
>>cluster.
>>

>That requires calling 2 apps where only 1 should really be needed.
>I've not done any C for about a decade - total rewrite might be a bit beyond
>me atm. I'll patch what I need first :)
>I've noticed that there's an awful lot of code in app_voicemail.c which isn't
>commented and does lord only knows what. I suppose I've got to get back into
>the swing of things somehow - learning how app_voicemail.c is as good a way
>as any.

Calling multiple apps is the * way. The strategy is to provide flexible
primitives, and allow people to script them together easily to achieve
their goals. One app might be more efficient in itself, but you will end
up writing too many different apps like that and this leads to its own
inefficiencies.

Regards,
Steve