[Asterisk-Dev] new dev question.

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Dec 15 13:45:10 MST 2004

On Wednesday 15 December 2004 13:47, Jon Lawrence wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've never done any dev (or even patches) for asterisk.
>
> What I'm wondering is what's the correct procedure for adding something:
> ie
> 1) ask on dev list - no point duplicating something someone's already
> doing. 2) write patch
> 3) post patch to bug tracker
> 4) send disclaimer to digium.

1.  Make it work.
2.  Send disclaimer.
3.  Post patch to bugtracker.

There's no point to asking if somebody else is already working on it -- there
are a ton of patches that people are "working on" that will continue to be
works in progress for many months.  If you want something done, do it or
pay someone to do it, because if it isn't already in the bugtracker or CVS,
there is very little to say that you won't get it _done_ first.

> What I'm wanting to do is a follows:
> I need to be able to run a custom announcement when a call is passed to
> voicemail - I also need to be able to using busy and unavail announcement.
> I know this could be achieved with playback(filename) before calling
> voicemail(s${EXTEN}).
> But I think it would be neater to add another option to voicemail.
> ie voicemail(c${EXTEN},filename) where c = play custom announcement and
> filename = the file to play.

You should probably make it more like the Dial arguments, i.e.
Voicemail(${EXTEN},c(filename)).  At the same time, you might even
want to move the [sub] options to the second argument, along with your c
option, although you should probably keep processing possible [sub] options
at the beginning for the time being, for backwards (but deprecated)
functionality.

--
Tilghman