[Asterisk-Dev] new dev question.

Jon Lawrence jon at lawrence.org.uk
Wed Dec 15 12:47:12 MST 2004

Hi all,
I've never done any dev (or even patches) for asterisk.

What I'm wondering is what's the correct procedure for adding something:
ie
1) ask on dev list - no point duplicating something someone's already doing.
2) write patch
3) post patch to bug tracker
4) send disclaimer to digium.

What I'm wanting to do is a follows:
I need to be able to run a custom announcement when a call is passed to
voicemail - I also need to be able to using busy and unavail announcement.
I know this could be achieved with playback(filename) before calling
voicemail(s${EXTEN}).
But I think it would be neater to add another option to voicemail.
ie voicemail(c${EXTEN},filename) where c = play custom announcement and
filename = the file to play.

From a quick look at the source, I think this would be pretty easy to add to
app_voicemail.
What do you dev's think of this idea ?
I'm happy to write the patch - could be interesting as I've not done C for
about a decade.
Is it likely to be useful to anyone other than me ?

Regards,
Jon Lawrence