[Asterisk-Dev] writing a GPL G.729?

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 8 09:11:51 MST 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 12:23:18PM +0000, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> Steve is absolutely right on both issues:
> - this thread is getting very off topic
> - patented technologies can be distributed in source form - otherwise,

That is fascinating.  I did some research.

http://www.intel.com/software/products/ipp/speech_code.htm
http://www.readytechnology.co.uk/open/g729/
http://www.sipro.com/

I'd say the open source version of G.729 is not viable for most
with a based entry fee of US$15K.  Best to find a licensed version
at a fraction of the cost.

Looking at the licensee list on Sipro's website tells me the G.729
patent is accepted throughout most of the economic world.

http://www.sipro.com/licensees.php

Guidance on fighting G.729 patents might be found here:
http://www.donquixote.com/

> how could Intel distribute the G.729 and G.723.1 implementations that I
> have downloaded and patched for use with Asterisk?

Are you paying for use or are you non-commercial?

> Intel distributes both of these free, in source form, and under a 'free
> open source' license with the intention that the end user will negotiate
> their own patent license if the code gets compiled into binary form.

Can you provide a link to this guidance?

I found this in Intel's G.729 sample download EULA:

# ADDITIONAL LICENSES: Licensee's use or implementation of the Materials
# may require additional licenses, including but not limited to
# copyright and patent licenses from various entities including Intel.
# Should any such additional copyright, patent or other licenses be
# required, Intel expects that Licensee will and Licensee agrees to
# obtain any such licenses at Licensee's own expense. Licensee is solely
# responsible for obtaining any such licenses and the copyright licenses
# granted in herein are conditioned on Licensee obtaining such
# additional licenses.

--
Michael Mueller