[Asterisk-Dev] DECT channel

Chris Ostler Chris.Ostler at gmx.net
Fri Dec 3 14:20:20 MST 2004

I originally posted something similar to the users list, but got no
response, so I'll give it a try here.

I have a DECT (USA 2.4 Ghz) cordless phone that I've been using just as a
standalone phone.  The interesting thing is that the phone (CyberGenie) was
developed to run with Windows PBX software.  I've been looking at the
possibilities of getting it to work with Asterisk.  The obvious solution
would be to get a FXS card and plug the phone into it, and just use it as a
single extension.  However, I'm thinking (or should that be dreaming)
bigger.

The base station contains two PTSN lines in and a PTSN line out in addition
to the DECT base station.  It connects to a PC via a USB connection.  What I
would *really* like to do is to get the lines in working as FXO's, the line
out working as a FXS, and the DECT base station providing a channel for each
registered handset.

This leads to a couple of questions:
1) I've seen references on the lists to the COM-ON-AIR line of DECT
products.  Has anyone been successful in getting them to work with Asterisk?
If so, what was involved in doing so?

2) What is the best way to learn the required architecture for implementing
an Asterisk channel.  I've searched this list, and only found references to
'Run doxygen on the source'.  I tried this (doxygen looks like a slick tool
- this was my first exposure), but the output was negligibly helpful - just
explanations of the members in the various structs.
What I really need to know is: how to create/register channels, what
functionality needs to be exposed for getting line status, receiving
interrupts, sending commands (pick up, hang up, etc.), and sending data.

I would appreciate any info I can get.  I'm starting to get excited about
this as a spare-time project.

Chris