[Asterisk-Dev] Makefile in Fedora Core 3 (kernel source not required!)

Matthew Costello matthew at ottix.com
Fri Dec 3 10:41:53 MST 2004

Mark Schaefer wrote:
>         I just found a howto on Fedora Core 3 that says that kernel
> sources are not required to build modules.  Please reference
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc3/x86 in the package
> specific notes under kernel.  Basically, the kernels (and I think the
> older versions of Fedora do this as well) install
> a /lib/modules/.../build directory that has all the headers required
> to build modules.  A Makefile sample is shown that could be used - I
> made a quick change to the Makefile under zaptel and it worked without
> a flaw.  I'm not sure I'm qualified to submit the patch, though.

Add this to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:

rm -f /usr/src/linux-2.6
ln -s /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build /usr/src/linux-2.6

This way /usr/src/linux-2.6 will always point to the correct
headers for the currently running kernel.  This also has the
advantage over modifying the zaptel Makefile of working for
all packages that depend on /usr/src/linux-2.6.