[Asterisk-Dev] MWI work around for Call Manager 4.0 (kinda)

Chris Modesitt chris at octelecom.net
Sat Aug 21 12:41:21 MST 2004

I have been working on getting Message Waiting Indicators to work with Call
Manager 4.0.  Here is how I have it setup, In Cisco's Call Manager I have
setup some SIP trunks that connect to Asterisk.  This works great for using
Asterisk as a SIP gateway and most of the functionality works.  However the
biggest draw back is that Cisco purposefully castrated their SIP
interoperability by removing SIP Notify support for Message Waiting
Indicators.   I have created a partial work around to get the Message
Waiting Indicators to pull but I am hoping that somebody here in development
can assist me further because my programming ability is limited to perl.  In
Call Manager you can create extensions for turning MWIs on and off. So for
example if I pickup my Cisco handset and dial the extension to turn on MWIs
the MWI on my phone turns on and if I dial the extension for turning MWI
off the MWI on my phone turns off.  So taking this a step further I created
the following to entry's in my sip.conf and extensions.conf files.

sip.conf

[1234] ;MWI ON

 type=friend

 host=xx.xx.xx.xx

 username=1234

 context=CompanyXEmployees

 port=5061

 dtmfmode=rfc2833

 canreinvite=no

 nat=0

[2345] ;MWI OFF

 type=friend

 host=XX.XX.XX.XX

 username=2345

 context=CompanyXEmployees

 port=5061

 dtmfmode=rfc2833

 canreinvite=no

 nat=0

extensions.conf

exten => 5000,1,gotoif,$[foo${RDNIS} =
foo]?ComanyXCheckingVoiceMail|s|1:CompanyXForwardedToVoiceMail|s|1

exten => 5000,2,Hangup

[CompanyXCheckingVoiceMail]

exten => s,1,VoicemailMain2(s${CALLERIDNUM}@CompanyX)

exten => s,2,SetCallerID(${CALLERIDNUM})

exten => s,3,Dial(SIP/2345)

exten => s,4,Hangup

[CompanyXForwardedToVoiceMail]

exten => s,1,VoiceMail2(u${RDNIS}@CompanyX)

exten => s,2,SetCallerID(${RDNIS})

exten => s,3,Dial(SIP/1234,20)

exetn => s,4,Hangup

What this dose is when somebody is forwarded to voicemail from Call Manager
to Asterisk and they leave a voicemail message and press the # key when they
are finished it turns the MWI ON for the appropriate phone.  If they "check"
their messages and press the # when they are finished it turns the MWI for
the appropriate phone off.  The problem I have is that most people do not
press the # when they leave a message, or press the # when they are finished
checking messages. They simple hang up the call, so priority 3 in
extension.conf for leaving and retrieving voicemails is never executed.

Now for the begging part of this email, is it possible to have the Voicemail
system continue the dial plain if a voicemail is left but the caller hangs
up?  Or whats the possibility of adding something to the voicemail.conf file
that will allow the system administrator to add a command to be executed
when voicemail messages are left or retrieved.  Similar to externalnotify
but a command that is executed inside of asterisk.

Any feed back, hints or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Chris Modesitt

chris at octelecom.net