[Asterisk-Dev] Preventing Asterisk from codec conversion when reinviting

Andreas Sikkema andreas.sikkema at ritstele.com
Thu Aug 19 09:05:53 MST 2004

Hi,

I'm new to Asterisk and SIP, but have experience with developing
VoIP apps in general and H.323 apps in particular.

I would like to fix a problem we're having with Asterisk
performing codec conversion in the following situation:

EP1, preferred codec order aLaw, G.729
EP2, preferred codec order G.729

EP1 places call to EP2, we see two call legs:
EP1 to * is aLaw
* to EP2 is G.729 (so Asterisk is performing codec conversion)

In this scenario we'd like to use G.729 for both call
legs with the media stream bypassing Asterisk. Thus
reducing the CPU load on the * machine and the need
for additional G.729 licenses.

We would like Asterisk to use the codec settings of EP2
while sending a reinvite to EP1. Currently Asterisk uses
it's own codec settings as defined in sip.conf. Since we
are using Asterisk  together with SER, our endpoints are
not defined in sip.conf so we cannot put information
about them in it.

Can someone tell me where to start developing? Which
files, functions?

TIA.

--
Andreas Sikkema                Rits tele.com
Scheepmakersstraat 11      3011 VH Rotterdam